Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My top 100 albums of the decade

The following are my top 100 albums of 2000-2009. The albums are not ranked as a whole (I just wasn't up to that task with a list this long); rather, the list is alphabetized by artist. However, for cases in which an artist has multiple albums listed, I've ranked that artist's releases in descending order (with my favorite first).

I've included genre information with each listing for anyone who's not familiar with these artists or records and might want to check them out. Also, most of them link to pages where you can listen to clips from the albums. There are only three compilations on the list, and I've counted EPs as albums for the purpose of this list because there were some exceptionally good EPs this decade.

I haven't yet gotten to listen to all the music from the '00s that I'd like to, but from what I have heard, these are my favorites. One more disclaimer: The list doesn't take into account many of the great individual songs from the decade aren't on my favorite albums. (That includes, for example, almost all the hip-hop I listened to during the past 10 years.)

This is a big list, and I recognize that most people won't take the time to sift through it all and check out the music they haven't heard. (And, if I haven't made it obvious, the main point of the list is, in fact, to encourage people to explore these albums.) So if you're interested in checking out some music but would prefer a smaller list with more specific recommendations, I encourage you to get in touch with me and tell me the kinds of music you're into/looking for. I'll be more than happy to customize a list for you.


The links below are Amazon referral links (advertisements).
My top single of the decade that's not on any of the above albums is "Nobody Knows" by Simon Le Bon and Nick Wood.

And, finally, here are some of my own personal awards:

Band of the decade: Radiohead
Solo artist of the decade: Imogen Heap
Unsigned* band/artist of the decade: East Hundred

*
Meaning a band or artist who's never been signed.

No comments: